17th March, 2015
- Never push your voice beyond its limitations. Recognise signs of vocal fatigue and STOP singing! Nothing is better for a tired voice than total rest. Put your feet up and switch off your voice!
- Think of your vocal fitness as much as your physical fitness. Always warm-up before an audition, rehearsal or performance. Also consider warming down afterwards.
- Keep hydrated – 2 or 3 litres a day if you are performing
- Avoid diuretics – they serve to dehydrate your body.
- Avoid menthol based lozenges – they also dry you out!
- Use steam inhalation – without any additives such as menthol.
- Rest if you are tired. If your voice is tired and you have a show that night, avoid using your voice, so it rests for as long as possible.
Remember, your voice is YOU.
It is your instrument and goes everywhere with you. Look after it!